BYZANTINE CHRISTIAN CHURCHES, PATRIARCHATES FROM EDIRNEKAPI TO BALAT
ISTANBUL PATRIARCHATES: Istanbul (Constantinople) has been one of 3 capitals of Greek Roman Orthodox Christianity since 12th century. Before that time when Emperor Constantine had moved the capital of Roman Empire here became the capital of huge general Christian World. Therefore, They had built many impressive imperial Churches such as Hagia Sophia and also They had some other very important churches which had been built as Patriarchate, Imperial Churches , etc. Chora Pammakaristos churches are some of very important churches where you can understand the Eastern Christian Heritage in this tour. Besides visiting these beautiful buildings with your guide, you will be in very local casual life by exploring the hidden streets. Worth doing it!
- DURATION: One Day tour fully walking tour
- TYPE OF TOUR: Walking Tour
- DEPARTURE TIME: 9.00am in the morning
- DEPARTURE POINT: Edirnekapı City Walls
- INCLUDES: Professional Guidance, Pick up and Drop off from /to hotels, Admission Fees of Museums, A cheese sandwich and a bottle of water
- EXCLUDES: Personal expenses, meals and drinks in any restaurant or cafes.
Itinerary For Yesterday&Today Istanbul Patriarchates
- After meeting in Edirnekapı by city walls, we walk down to Tekfur Palace which was the latest Palace of Byzantine Empire. And then we are going to find Chora Church where we can see the whole story of Christianity on the walls and ceilings of Chora. Chora meant countryside in Greek Roman language. After the occupation of Crusades Byzantines had converted this small church to latest imperial Church and decorated the walls by mosaics and frescoes.
- After Chora we keep walking to Pammakaristos Church (Fethiye Mosque) which was the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate following the fall of Constantinople in 15th century. It was converted to Mosque in 1587. We keep walking among the streets by passing the very religious locations of Istanbul. Ismail Agha Mosque and Masnavi Mosques are kinds of their symbolic Mosques there.
- Next stop will be Bloody Church (Church of St Mary of Mongols). It is an Eastern Orthodox Church in Istanbul. It is the only Byzantine church of Constantinople that has never been converted to a mosque, always remaining open to the Greek Orthodox Church.
- And then we walk round of Red school which was built in 1881 as Fener Greek Orthodox High School for boys. I can say it is the most magnificent building of the area which can be seen from Golden Horn too. And we walk down from most rapid slope of Istanbul.
Last stop will be Greek Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul. It is a very nice building built in 19th century. It is one of the most enduring institutions in the world and has had a prominent part in world history. The ecumenical Patriarchs in ancient times helped in the spread of Christianity and resolution of various doctrinal disputes. In the middle ages they played a major role in the affairs of the Eastern Orthodox world. Currently, the patriarchs have been involved in ecumenism and interfaith dialogue, charitable work and defense of Orthodox Christian traditions.
- Our tour ends there and we drop you off to the same places where we picked you up in the morning.
- We pick you up from your hotel and bring you to meet up point in Edirnekapı by city walls. Hotels or points where our guests suggested as pick up point must be in Sultanahmet, Sirkeci, Taxim, Besiktas Locations. Tour starts at 9.00am from departure point. So, we will inform you your pick up time from your hotel booking tour. We prefer starting tour early to avoid the crowds in the morning. When it is suggested, the directions of the meeting point from Hotel can be mailed and also all our contact numbers are available all time. We can drop you off to same place where we picked you up too.
- While booking tour; if our guest come out from Cruise ship, our guests must give all details about name of Cruise ship, docking port name, arrival and departure time of cruise ship, number of people, any allergic conditions, health problems, name of people well.
- This tour is totally walking tour in a very local part of the city. So we suggest our guests to dress up little bit more covered with t-shirts, long sleeves shirts and long skirts or trousers to respect the life of people and not to have watching eyes on us. But it is safe area to walk around.
- Guests must have very comfortable shoes to walk on cobblestone surfaces, inclines and 10-30 steps in a day. We recommend a hat and sun cream as there may be limited shade. Also, Guests should watch their step at all times in order to avoid injuries.
Please ask us to mail you a tour itinerary with official agreement to avoid congestion.
- As we mentioned above, we are going to be walking in very local parts. We may stop for some local tea houses during the day but just in case we bring cheese sandwiches to everyone with a bottle of water as complimentary of our company. So we do not have to worry about food during day.
- Our guide may swap priority of places to make tour less tiring and avoid crowd.
- We base our semi-private tours on customized preferences. And also we follow these itineraries in our private tours too. We organize these tours for travellers who prefer doing private tour.
- Our Company organize all our tours legally byPEACE TRAVEL SERVICE as an official Travel Agency with A-9802 TURSAB We provide highly experienced licensed Tour Guides to all our guests.