Overview to Jewish Heritage tour
The Jewish Heritage from Roman Era to today in these lands sounds quite interesting from Sardis to Izmir. Sardis is actually very important historical site to visit in Turkey. It was not only former capital of Persian Empire but also capital of Lydia. So it was the home of first coins and one of earliest seven churches of Christianity was built here written in the book of Revelations. Besides all these important specialties, it is the place where oldest Jewish Synagogue still standing there. It is dated to 3rd century AD. It is the best place to understand the Jewish life in Asia Minor during Roman Era.
- DURATION: One day tour to Sardis and Izmir tour from Izmir
- DEPARTURE: Starts at 9.00am in the morning
- INCLUDES: Professional English Speaking Guide, Private Luxury designed A/C Mercedes Van, parking, Admission fees of Sights,
- EXCLUDES: Meals and optional tips.
- DATE: It runs anyday up on availibility of our Guest/s
Itinerary for Jewish Heritage tour
- We pick you up from hotel, airport or Cruise Port of Izmir where our guest suggests and depart our tour to Sardis around 9.00am in the morning. From Izmir Driving to Sardis takes around 1.15 hours along the Turkish landscape of tobacco fields and vineyards.
- Once we get there, we stop in Sardis Ancient city where we can visit huge Roman Gymnasium and Baths, Royal Road, Shops of Jews, and biggest, oldest Synagogue from Roman Era dated to 3rd AD. The Synagogue was the discovery of this mammoth structure gave quite good ideas about the life of Judaism during the Roman Era and changed previous assumptions about Judaism. This Synagogue dated back to 3rd AD. Jewish Community was very wealthy with Jews holding seats at the city council. But after beginning of Byzantine Empire, Christianity had eclipsed Judaism.
- After spending quite enough time there we drive to Artemis Temple area. Artemis Temple was two times as big as the Parthenon in Athens and was known as one of the seven largest Greek Temples when it was first built during 4th century BC.
As we mentioned above, Sardis was the former capital of Lydia. They were first people who separated gold from silver and minted coins. So it was famed as for the largest gold reserves in the world where King Midas had lived. There is a gossip now the biggest treasury is there around the Artemis Temple. Additionally, Sardis was the city where one of Seven ancient Churches built written about by St John in the Book of Revelations. We can see the ruins of this church just next to Artemis Temple Ground.
- And then we drive back to Izmir and have a lunch in a nice local Restaurant.
- After lunch we visit the Bet Israel Synagogue which is the largest and most beautiful Synagogue with its wooden decoration of the city. It was built in 1907 and the 2 pieces of Tevah and the Ehal Akodesh Bloc have been made of massive mahogany by the most famous masters of 1907. Also upper Gallery of Synagogue serves as a museum today.
- Next stop will be walking around through to Asansor and go up the historical Asansor (means elevator) which was built by Nesim Levi (He was a Jewish Business man of that time) in 1907 to allow people to climb the elevated part of the area. This area is separated by the coastal strait by a steep cliff with a total of 155 stairs. The historical elevator system was being operated by water until 1985 and converted to electrical system. The street where Asansor is situated called Dario Moreno Street. The view is the best panoramic view of Izmir from Asansor.
- Before ending tour; our last stop is Konak Clock tower and walk through to Kemeraltı Area to visit the Synagogues Street there. There are 9 small Synagogues here where serve to the Jewish Business people and Artisans here. 3 of these small historical Synagogues are still functional today.
- At the end of tour we drop you off to same places where picked you up in the morning.
- When our guests decide to book this tour, each guest has to mail the copy of passport to us. By faxing all names with passport numbers to Synagogues, we will have an appointment. So the tour has to depart on time.
- While booking tour; if our guests come out from Cruise Ship, our guests must give all details about name of Cruise ship, name of Docking port, arrival and departure time of cruise ship, number of people, any allergic conditions, health problems, name of people well.
- Guests must have very comfortable shoes to walk on cobblestone surfaces, inclines and 10-30 steps in a day. We recommend a hat and sun cream as there may be limited shade. Also, Guests should watch their step at all times in order to avoid injuries.
- Please ask us to mail you a tour itinerary with official agreement to avoid congestion.
- Our guide may swap priority of places to make tour less tiring and avoid crowd.
- We base our semi-private tours on customized preferences. And also we follow these itineraries in our private tours too. We organize these tours for travellers who prefer doing private tour.
- Our Company organize all our tours legally by PEACE TRAVEL SERVICE as an official Travel Agency with A-9802 TURSAB We provide highly experienced licensed Tour Guides to all our guests.