Overview to Istanbul Jewish Heritage Tour
Istanbul Jewish Heritage tour offers an impressive combination of past and present Jewish Heritage in Istanbul going back to end of Byzantine time. The rich history of this nation’s culture is imprinted and evident in not only almost every corner of Istanbul but also Turkey. We are going to visit most famous and beautiful ones in Istanbul together in this tour for unforgettable lifetime memory!
- DURATION: One full day tour in Istanbul
- TYPE OF TOUR: Semi-Private Tour with max 12 people and min 2 people
- DEPARTURE: 9.00am in the morning
- DEPARTURE MEETING POINT: Front of Marmara Hotel in Taxim Square
- INCLUDES: Professional Guidance, Admission Fees of Sights, transportation, Pick up and Drop off from/to Hotels or ports, points if pick up point is in Sultan Ahmet, Sirkeci, Taxim, Besiktas locations, donations in Synagogues
- EXCLUDES: Meals, Personal Expenses
Istanbul Jewish Heritage Tour Itinerary
- After meeting in Taxim Square, we take our transfer van through to Ahrida Synagogue. As the most famous oldest Synagogue of Istanbul also called Okhrida, is in Balat District on the Golden Horn. Besides the Synagogue’s fascinating architecture, be sure to examine its priceless furnishings, including the Bema (Pulpit) shaped like the prow of the ship, said by some to symbolize Noah’s Ark.
- After visiting Ahrida Synagogue, We drive to Ashkenazi Synagogue in Galata District. This Synagogue was built in 1900 by Austrians Jews and is only currently active Ashkenazi Synagogue open to visitors and prayers as the last remaining synagogue from a total of three built by Ashkenazim.
- Also after visiting there we can walk through the Galata Tower and enjoy the beautiful panoramic view of Istanbul from top of Historic Galata tower.
- Free lunch time
- After lunch time we are going to visit Jewish Museum and Neva Shalom Synagogue. Jewish Museum was moved to hall of Neva Shalom Synagogue. It is the best place to have some idea about the Jews who have been living with Muslims since 15th century. And Also Neva Shalom is the biggest Synagogue of Istanbul.
- And then, we walk down through to Karakoy district by passing the numbers of small boutique stores. Of course we stop in Italian Synagogue which has been used as an art gallery nowadays and walking down on Komandotor Stairs which had been built by a Jewish family as their donation.
- We take a public ferry through to Uskudar to visit Kuzguncuk District. Kuzguncuk is a district where 3 different believes have been living there together hundreds of years. After 15th century it was chosen as the second holiest lands for Jews who were living in Istanbul. During 17th century, Greek Romans and Armenians moved here. Turkish people have been living there too. The streets of Kuzguncuk with Synagogues, Orthodox and Armenian Catholic Churches and also Mosques are very peaceful and authentic local district.
- We pick you up from your hotel and bring you to meet up at tour departure point for Istanbul Jewish Heritage tour. Hotels or points where our guests suggested as a pick up point must be in Sultanahmet, Sirkeci, Taxim, Besiktas Locations. Tour starts at 9.00am from departure point. So We will inform you your pick up time from your hotel or port after booking tour. We prefer starting tour early in the morning to avoid the crowds. If you decide to come by yourself to meeting point, we can mail you the directions of the meeting point from Hotel. Also all our contact numbers are available all time. We can drop you off to same place where we picked you up too.
- When our guests decide to book this tour, each guest has to mail the copy of passport to us. By faxing all names with passport numbers to Ahrida and Ashkenazi Synagogues, we will have an appointment. So the tour has to depart on time.
- While booking tour; if our guest come out from Cruise ship, our guests must give all details about name of Cruise ship, docking port name, arrival and departure time of cruise ship, number of people, any allergic conditions, health problems, name of people well.
- Our guide may swap priority of places to make tour less tiring and avoid crowd.
- We base our semi-private tours on customized preferences. And also we follow these itineraries in our private tours too. We organize these tours for travellers who prefer doing private tour.
- Our Company organize all our tours legally by PEACE TRAVEL SERVICE as an official Travel Agency with A-9802 TURSAB We provide highly experienced licensed Tour Guides to all our guests.